Enquiries for further information: SNP Parliamentary Group office
The SNP Parliamentary Group of MSPs is looking to employ a full time Senior Communications Officer with immediate effect.
- To promote the SNP Parliamentary Group position within the media and support MSPs in their relationship with the media
- Drafting press releases on political issues
- Liaising with broadcast media and briefing MSPs for media appearances
- Briefing national media on behalf of SNP MSPs
- Supporting MSPs to develop local press stories and campaigns
- Drafting articles and media briefings
- Delivering communications across print, broadcast and online media
- Liaising with other SNP groups, Ministers and Cabinet Secretaries
Skills and Experience
- Applicants must be able to demonstrate a wide range of political and communications skills
- Ability to work quickly, to produce accurate information and draft press releases and communications lines within tight time scales.
- Experience of developing and communicating consistent messages across a range of formats
- Understanding and experience of working with local media including developing stories or campaigns
- Experience of actively promoting news stories and setting media agenda
- Experience of using online media to communicate key messages and target new audiences
- Applicants must have a firm knowledge of current Scottish politics at all levels, the Scottish Parliamentary system and Scottish media
- Must be able to work well within a small team and independently, and to respond flexibly and creatively to a range of requests.
In addition to the duties of a Communications Officer, the Senior Communications Officer will:
- Be lead contact in the Communications team, working closely with the Head of Communications and Research on day-to-day media strategy
- Identify relevant news stories for the SNP Parliamentary Group to respond to
- Come up with ideas to help the Group generate positive and original coverage and coordinate press releases to issue through the working day
- Come up with ideas for taking the week’s media coverage forward for weekend releases, and coordinating and encouraging team members in this process
- Help to coordinate media bids, liaising with the research team to ensure MSPs have briefings as required
- Help to support the SNP’s Parliamentary Group’s social media output
- Assist with training of new members of staff
- Be a positive and communicative representative for the SNP Parliamentary Group with the media – even under difficult circumstances.
Salary will be based on skills/experience.
Applicants should send a tailored CV with cover letter (no more than one page) to SNPMSPgroup@parliament.scot by 12 noon on Wednesday 24th August. Applicants may also wish to include with their CVs any examples of their work in drafting articles, press releases and/or coverage obtained. Interviews are likely to take place in the week beginning 29th August.
Senior Communications Officer – SNP Parliamentary Office 05/08/16
It caused mass hysteria in my house for weeks!!